Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The secret power snack

My son loves to eat cereal for breakfast before school.  I never let him eat sugary cereals on school days.  Generally I allow Raisin Bran, Cheerios, or something of that nature, because if he has something like cocoa puffs he has a difficult time concentrating.  I think that is pretty common among third graders, but even enforcing that rule, I still found that my son was having concentration problems in school.  His teacher, the school nurse, and my wife all thought he may be showing the signs of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).
I was diagnosed with ADD as a child, and I didn’t really buy it myself.  I did some researching, and found that protein is the most important part of a breakfast, especially for a growing child.  After a lot of experimenting, I found the best solution was to let my son continue eating cereal at breakfast, but he takes a Power Bar to school now for morning snack.  He has received straight A’s and never has any focus problems in school since he started taking this high protein snack to school.  Thank goodness for the oatmeal raisin Power Bar.  It has no chocolate and no caffeine so it’s a good quick source of protein that is easy to carry and quick to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment